Girl Scouts of Connecticut Welcomes Secretary of the State Denise Merrill to its Board Development Committee
May 10, 2011
Secretary of the State Denise Merrill was elected to Girl Scouts of Connecticut’s Board Development Committee during the organization’s Annual Meeting on May 4 in North Haven.
Secretary of the State Merrill joins prominent corporate and nonprofit executives, community leaders, and life-long Girl Scouts as a new member of the Council’s Board Development Committee.
“Denise Merrill makes a wonderful addition to our volunteer Board Development Committee,” said Girl Scouts of Connecticut CEO Jennifer Smith Turner. “She is a true friend of Girl Scouts and brings valuable experience and talent to this committee.”
The role of Girl Scouts of Connecticut’s Board Development Committee is to recruit, evaluate and train members of the Council’s Board of Directors. Members of the Board Development Committee are engaged with the Board of Directors throughout the year and are included in all board communications.
“I am so honored to join this important group and do what I can to help the wonderful work of Girl Scouts of Connecticut,” said Secretary Merrill. “I was involved in the Girl Scouts early in my life and I have been involved with the capitol troop for a number of years, so I know firsthand the importance of the life lessons of scholarship, service and camaraderie learned in the Girl Scouts. These young girls in troops all over the state of Connecticut will become our future leaders in business, government and in families and we must do as much as we can to mentor them and give them support in their communities.”
The members of Girl Scouts of Connecticut’s Board Development Committee all embrace the Girl Scout’s philosophy, have requisite skills, knowledge, and experience with large complex organizations, and will help to guide Girl Scouts of Connecticut to best serve girls around the state.
The Board Development Committee members include:
• Barbara DeBaptiste, Civic Leader
• Karen Hoffman, Civic Leader
• Peggy Jerrell, Benefits & Compensation Administrator, Gaylord Hospital
• Edna M. Karanian, Director, Yankee Gas System Operations of The Northeast Utilities System
• Mercedes Large, Strategic Consultant
• Denise Merrill, Secretary of the State
• Caroline Sloat, Director of Scholarly Publications at the American Antiquarian Society
• Suzanne Wakeen, Vice President, People’s United Bank
• Cee Cee Woods, Vice-Chair, Permanent Commission of the Status of Women